The German Development Institute (DIE/GDI), in cooperation with the Addis Tax Initiative (ATI) and the Council on Economic Policies (CEP) will host a workshop on the relevance of Tax Expenditures for the national capacities to foster DRM on 9-11 November 2021. The workshop will take place online with a three-hour time slot on each day.
The input will be based, among others, on data of the recently launched Global Tax Expenditures Database, which is the first database of its kind providing timely and consistent information on Tax Expenditures on a global scale. Furthermore, the workshop will be complemented with ATI members´ experiences with Tax Expenditures and their role for development. The event brings together scholars, government officials, representatives from international organizations and external experts.
Key topics that will be discussed include:
- The state of Tax Expenditure reporting
- Experiences with setting up / improving tax expenditure reporting in individual countries
- Main barriers for the estimation and reporting of Tax Expenditures
- Tax Expenditures in a context of informality
- Tax Expenditures as an instrument of (harmful) tax competition between countries
- Bringing tax expenditures into the current debate on international tax reform
- The role of regional tax organisations & the Network of Tax Organisations (NTO)
- Tax Expenditure reform in a post-COVID-19 world
- Decision-making processes to promote reforms & political economy challenges in the context of rationalising Tax Expenditures
The workshop shall be the trigger of a series of regional events on the estimation and reporting of Tax Expenditures to be held in 2022 in different regions where ATI member countries are present including Africa, Latin America and Asia.
The link for inscriptions will be shared in due time. Alternatively, you can visit the website of the German Development Institute.
There is an ongoing call for contributions for this workshop. To know more details about the call, please click here.